Monday, 16 May 2016

Diesel Loco - light running ....

A trial post to see how video clips taken with my camera work out; the sound pickup off its microphone is better than I expected.....

Playmobil battery loco shown in Rockery cuting
video
and down by the station...
video

Sunday, 8 May 2016

Tipper trucks on the move ....

A nice time running a little train today, after some work tidying up the garage

The chap in the signal box had to put his book down today for while, a goods train of tipper wagons was running ...

waiting for the go outside the station...
 past the signal box ...
 round the bottom of the garden and then up through rockery cutting ...
 coming back round again on the station approach ...
 a good running session, had some some derailments in rockery cutting - these were fixed by levelling the track and oiling the spring on the engine coupling.

Friday, 6 May 2016

New Glazing for the Signal Box

The glazing for my PIKO signal box had become opaque - mostly due to UV exposure, the thin plastic was breaking up as well. So only one way to get at it to replace it - take the signal box apart, hammer and screwdriver used - not too heftily though....
 All the bits were then put into a bath of soapy water ...
 out of the wash and dried out, ready for re-assembly...
 I removed the old glazing and then put in some new clear plastic (culled from Barbie doll packaging);  the main wall sections stuck back on and the roof supports ...
 The roof was then put back on and the access steps. Back out in the garden in its spot waiting for a train ....

Wednesday, 4 May 2016

on the workbench ....

Coupling for a Tipper Wagon

Removed the hook from a coupling...
 and fixed it to the tipper wagon chassis...
tried it and the height isn't quite right, but the hook from the loco end is long and connects fine - need to do some running checks ...

Track Cleaning Loco 

When I started this was not working at all; motor not responding very well at all. I turned the speed knob up to max, but no effect.

 So I took out the main motor,  cleaned off any accumulated gunge, cleaned springs etc;  checked the worm gears were properly engaged .....
 on reassembling it it started working fine ( dodgy pick up or loose connection ?)
The motor and track cleaning is working fine now (alost as good as when I got the loco) - one minor problem the lights no longer work - I can live with that.

Out to the garage to check it operationally, running smooth as a loco and fine in the direction of the track cleaner - even cleaning the track; needs to be tested on the outside line though.

Monday, 2 May 2016

Looking foward ....

First off a list of jobs to do:
  • change one of my tipper wagons to have a chopper coupling so the three together can be pulled by all locos
  • have a look at my track cleaning loco and see if I can find out why it is not running properly
  • repaint the roofs of the trackside houses
  • get the station pieces secured to the underboard
  • repair the water tower and if possible get it on a base to reduce risk of it being blown over again
  • clean the outdoor track and check track running with electric locos
  • trial removal of chopper hook from coupling at one end of each piece of rolling stock (more prototypical), to see if it improves running and prevents derailments on bends.
Oh dear lots to do !

What else - some new rolling stock is overdue...
  • I've pre-ordered an Isle of Man E-Van in Maroon & Cream livery - expected availability in Dec 2016 - so nice little Xmas present for me.
  • I'll see if I can pick up some suitable items off Ebay or from Toy&Train fairs.