Saturday 23 September 2023

Project - K1 Garratt Locomotive

One visitor in the summer to a running session, idly suggested I ought to build a Garratt locomotive.

The Garratt K1 0-4-0 + 0-4-0 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0-4-0%2B0-4-0), looked like the smallest one I could find to have a go at. So I've collected up some reference material.


along with some pictures of 16mm scale live steam models



To build it I've decided to use the motions from two LGB Otto 0-4-0 locos and scratch build the rest (using any bits that I can from Otto locos as well).  The two locos have been bought (looks like I can re-use the funnel and one of the cabs, I'm sure they'll be some other bits too)

So the project is ready to start; firstly I'll have to strip the loco's down to get the motions and work out how to attach a footplate and get them to pivot correctly.

1 comment:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Looking forward to seeing this ambitious project, a unusual looking engine